One year after the last release, a lot of water has flown under the bridges and a lot of progress has been achieved in Unvanquished. In terms of bot development, bug fixing, and so on. Let’s focus on the progress made on the UI today, to give you something to chew before the next version … Continue reading RmlUi, moving onto a new Rocket
Tag Archives: Engineering
A last-minute patch for 0.51 and a conference this Sunday
Hello there, some people reported our current 0.51 build experiences issue on newer Linux distributions. An easy way to patch your downloaded game is provided right below. There is also a conference this Sunday that will be viewable online. Conference this Sunday for Debian We are participating in the current MiniDebConf Online Gaming Edition hosted … Continue reading A last-minute patch for 0.51 and a conference this Sunday
Another thing we’ve made progress on over the years is our array of special effects. These include things in our renderer (inherited from XreaL), as well as 2D and 3D artwork integrated into the game. We’re always in the process of adding more and refining what we’ve already got, in addition to the underlying renderer … Continue reading Special effects
Improving Memory Usage in the Daemon Renderer
After the move to compressed texture formats, we looked for ways to reduce the memory used for storing the geometry of models and the world map.
Moving the server-side gamelogic to PNaCl
This post is aimed at Unvanquished/Dæmon developers to explain the big changes that will happen soon, as well at people interested by the technology behind the Dæmon engine. It contains background on the upcoming change to PNaCl-only sandboxes for the server-side gamelogic (game virtual machine) as well as an overview of changes for developers.
Big changes to the Filesystem
As part of the effort to modernize our engine we completely rewrote the the filesystem, the code responsible for finding and loading the game assets.
Introducing the IQM model format
We are adding support for this format!
Merge of the first batch of engine-upgrade changes
Early look at libRocket
Now for an early look at our libRocket implementation.
Upgrading our 15-year-old engine
Daemon, the Unvanquished engine is a descendant of Quake3 (1998) through ioQuake3, Xreal, ET:Xreal and OpenWolf. That’s 15 years of tweaks, fixes and features added at random places in the code.