Armory (1)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
gavlig
Animator

Re: armory

Post by gavlig »

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

As for the virtual GUI thing, that's something I think would be, like gavlig said, very cool--but only in a singleplayer campaign. You most certainly would not make players try and use a virtual GUI in any multiplayer mode if you want the game to be at all competitive.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, I really love the front view of the new armory! The back could use a few more details though.

I disagree with velo on the multiplayer part: The alien booster is a good example of mutual exclusion in usage. When placing a booster you have to balance between building it in a safe corner and building it so that it can be touched by multiple players at once. If we implement ingame-GUI's, I'd propose to have more than a single screen for the armory though so newbes don't block it completely when gazing at the screen. The screen should be stateless (all options on a single frame) so it can be used concurrently by multiple players. We should also take into consideration that the resource system allows for more than a single armory to be built.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We can figure out the GUI details when we get there. First, we'll need to implement libRocket in the engine. We've already started on that, and it's a goal to finish it by the end of this quarter. Once we have libRocket, we can see what sort of neat things we can do, including the menu being discussed.

Regardless, you should still be able to use buy binds at all times.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

kharnov wrote:

First, we'll need to implement libRocket in the engine. We've already started on that, and it's a goal to finish it by the end of this quarter. Once we have libRocket, we can see what sort of neat things we can do, including the menu being discussed.

What I described actually has pretty much nothing to do with libRocket; it's a matter of the math needed to translate the player's position and aim into coordinates on a plane in 3d space. I was just trying to state that yes, it is possible, and not with too much work.

kharnov wrote:

We can figure out the GUI details when we get there.

I realize this; discussing how a virtual GUI might look or function doesn't really affect gavlig's modeling of the armory, anyway. (it's not like we'd be losing time in discussing it now.)

kharnov wrote:

Regardless, you should still be able to use buy binds at all times.

Of course. Like I said, it'd totally ruin MP gameplay to require using a virtual GUI.

EDIT: Viech, I didn't see your post. I see your point, but there's a lot you'd have to consider when designing the virtual GUI to be used this way. (Easily enough to deserve its own thread.)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Hello guys! Long time no see :) I've got a new job, it's a good news. And it takes almost all my free time - it's a bad news... However, i try to manage to devote some time to unvanquished nevertheless. I opened armory file and found out that my uvs are bad and make texture look stretched. I remade them few times but got no good results so far. I need some help with texturing, since i think it will take too long from me to figure all this out by myself. My problem is that i cant make uv layout which would make rotor part look high res enough without loosing quality in other parts.
Any ideas about it would be much appreciated!
You can get everything from my folder on dropbox(Unvanquished/assets/gavlig/armory).

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Hey guys, i'm not dead yet. Just forced my sorry ass to write this post about stuff going on here around. I moved to an apartment, so no more four people in one room with me. Job is still more than persistent and it's taking all my life for now. I'm not saying i can't manage to find few hours for unv, but in most cases i'm to tired and low willed to do anything and i feel miserable about it.
Nevertheless, i've made something about armory. I decided that it's a total shit and removed almost half of the geometry and started over with high res details, blackjack and hookers.

some sketches and prepreprealpha of baked details here - http://minus.com/mJpfQMa2Tt2lr

I'm very sorry for being so slow. I'm not even sure if i will ever finish this armory (though i would really love to). It's ok with me if you find somebody else to make it.

The attachment with_normal1.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
with_normal1.jpg
gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

update: added more details to the narrow panel
http://minus.com/m0zB7a9LJ7DGx

The attachment 1.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
1.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Oh hey, nice to have you back part time!

Your old armory didn't look bad at all but I'm in a bad position to criticise any form of neurotic perfectionism. :grin:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

last update for today http://minus.com/mgdkvtcbQsHLb

The attachment 3.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
3.jpg