Booster

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
jdreyna
Modeler

Re: Booster

Post by jdreyna »

Hey everyone, I have been a bit busy finding a job in my area so I haven't had a whole lot of time to finish this up. I should have some free time the next few days so it should be getting finished over the next few days.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That's fine, can't wait to see the next update.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

texture sizes? 1024 im guessing.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Try to do 2048 squared if possible. We can always downsample when needed.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Hey so I did a quick render inside of Maya using Mental Ray. I had a bit of artifacting so I think this, if everything looks good to you guys, should be pretty close to being finished. Id like to have someone check it out to see if everything is going to meet up with the way you want it. I have maps for Diffuse, Spec, Normal and Glow so if someone would like to check it out that would be great. In this render I set the smoothing to 3 to get rid of the artifacting, it could have just been my lighting, but Id like to make sure everything is ready to be finished up.

Boostermayarender.jpg
Boostermayarender.jpg (79.3 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hard to predict how normal and specular map are going to turn out with the ingame lighting model but issues such as wrong brightness, contrast or choice of channels for encoding the normals are fairly easy to correct as long as all maps are of high resolution and good quality. For the diffuse map however, the colors on the concept are misleading. Please use the acid tube as a reference instead (but diverge as far as you like, as long as the general notion of organic material is maintained). Colors should be much more subtle, apart from the glowing eyes (everything between red and green would be valid choices for those). Basically, try to have the booster look like it shares evolutionary roots with the acid tube.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

hey Viech, I just wanted to say thanks btw for allowing me to work on some actual game work. Since I graduated college in 2010 with a bachelors in game design, I haven't found any actual work that pays the bills. Even though I am doing this all for free, it is great to have supportive people that actually want to create something. I have basically zero experience other than going to school for it so it is great to have a quick exchange of ideas, and to get to make something new.

I updated some sculpting and coloring as you can see in the image below. I have to state, that I am a tad bit color blind so working with color is not always my strong suit but I am learning to better use my color picker better. The acid creature is mostly dark blues and some greens and browns correct? Let me know if this is more in line with what you are thinking. I also added more spires on the skin to get it to look more like it's parent. Let me know if there are any changes and I will gladly get to work on them!

boosternewcolor.jpg
boosternewcolor.jpg (149.64 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a job in the game industrie. I hope your work for us will boost your portfolio enough to get noticed! :smile:

The acid tube indeed has a brown-ish body (a mix of red, blue and yellow, all with low saturation but red shines through the most) and the limbs and outer ends of the gas ejectors are somewehere between blue and green (more precisely teal, a shade of cyan).

Your new approach looks much better, both color and normal/specular wise (it seems you increased resolution and took some contrast out of the specular map?). The small horns all over the body look nice, too. I think we are pretty close to completion!

What would be left is "break[ing] up the monotony of the black", as kharnov put it. I uploaded the acid tube materials for you as a reference (note that the white rectangle is transparent in the original):

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Here's some more color corrections. If I have time tomorrow I will keep updating this but here is where I left off for the night:

boostercolor2.jpg
boostercolor2.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 4715 times

(also this is being rendered inside of Zbrush as the last post was, just to give you a general idea of the detail in the sculpt and color, also it is the high res version)

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Still on the right track. Perhaps some shading on the skin to provide a mottled appearance?