Armory (1)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
gavlig
Animator

Armory (1)

Post by gavlig »

Hey guys!

I think it's time to reveal some details on model i'm making. It's far from being done, but the basic shape is formed and I think it can be discussed. I don't really want to step away from the direction i chose, but if my version of armory has some awful flaws, it's time to find them.
hires: http://minus.com/my0WrGp4OQtRy and http://i4.minus.com/ipFxeR7dnyyhP.png

1.1_3.jpg
1.1_3.jpg
1.1_3.jpg
1.1_3.jpg

P.S.

It is heavily inspired by doom3 art

Attachments
2013-01-24-181147_1920x1080_scrot.jpg
1.1_2.jpg
1.1_1.jpg
velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: armory

Post by velociostrich »

I'm digging it, although maybe don't go too nuts on the widgets I see you've grease-penned on there; I kinda like it (semi) clean (a few widgets is always good).

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

This is coming out great, gavlig. How do you suppose you'll be texturing it? Some sort of gray metal like the turret, with a glowing screen?

Theyain
Mantis

Post by Theyain »

Idea, but this is gameplay related. We could have a Halo-esque where we have to actually pick swap weapons. The armory could actually dispense/spawn the item and we could pick it up. We could also just drop a weapon into that mouth/turbine thing to sell it.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I like range buying weapons. The ability to have a weapon instantly is critical when your base is under attack.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@velociostrich: but i love those fancy widgets, they look soooo coooool :) I'll make most of them with textures, so it will be easy to remove them.
@kharnov: yes, glowing screen, glowing rotor and maximum two-three colors(one of them metallic)
@Theyain: that sounds cool, but not gameplay-wise. As Viech suggested, it would be awesome to have an ability to render a realtime controlling gui on that display :). I think all these ideas might work for single player btw.
@Ishq: agree with you on this one

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

gavlig wrote:

@Theyain: that sounds cool, but not gameplay-wise. As Viech suggested, it would be awesome to have an ability to render a realtime controlling gui on that display :). I think all these ideas might work for single player btw.

That wouldn't actually be too difficult. You'd have to translate the player's crosshair into a relative coordinate system (on the GUI), and we could probably use the existing UI VM and modify it so that you can have an arbitrary number of UIs (as an array of structs, probably), some in-game and some not. (Which would also require calculating a transformation matrix for the GUI elements on your virtual surface or whatever.) Certainly not impossible by any means; as I'm sure you're aware, Doom 3 and Quake 4 had this.

EDIT: Also, there's a paper floating somewheres around on the internets that talks about this, though from a design standpoint and not from an implementation standpoint.

Theyain
Mantis

Post by Theyain »

Gavlig, my biggest concern is the idea of using a virtual gui on the structure. While cool, it is very annoying to use in game.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@velociostrich: We should get back to this when armory and everything multiplayer-related is done, i think. It would certainly be interesting to implement such thing.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@Theyain: but still cool ^_^