Alpha 21 time!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Anomalous
Programmer

Alpha 21 time!

Post by Anomalous »

Here's our twenty-first alpha release. Read on for what's new…

Armour changes!We redesigned human armour to bridge the gap between the Light Armour and the Light Armour & Helmet combination. While wearing just the body piece gave you some basic protection from acid gas and the occasional leg bite, it seemed like a waste of credits when getting one-hitted by an experienced Dragoon player. The Light Armour now covers the entire body and gives you moderate head protection. The price has increased but it is available earlier than the helmet was, allowing you to counter those dragoons when you can afford it. Instead of the helmet, you can now also purchase the Medium Armour, which is intended as a tradeoff between the Light Armour and the Battlesuit. However, your armour class now has an impact on stamina and everything heavier than the light armour will reduce your ability to sprint or bunny hop for a long time.

Light armour costs 200 credits, medium armour costs 300, and radar costs 100.

ImageThe new armour, though not necessarily in its finished formFor those who prefer bindings for buying and selling items: larmour is still there, helmet is gone, and we now have marmour and radar.Human bots know about medium armour and radar and can now actually use radar.

Building changes!Humans no longer need a power source near a drill, though one may be needed anyway if there are other buildings nearby.

For aliens, the Overmind and eggs now provide creep while being built, so no more exploding buildings just because you decided to move that lone supporting egg a few millimetres to the left.

Builders now see a set of icons indicating, if they can't build somewhere, why not. Sometimes it's an image of a building, showing what's needed, e.g. a drill or a leech if you need build points; sometimes, a glyph – ‘⧉’ if there's no room there, ‘∡’ if the surface is too steep, and ‘×’ for no-build zones.

Unlocking changes!We've played with the unlock thresholds somewhat. For example, armour is not immediately available to humans, and aliens need to do some damage before they can evolve into dragoons.

You'll see, below the confidence momentum bar, some boxes containing various buildings, upgrades and/or weapons. Those items shown brightly (and all which aren't shown at all) are unlocked; from left to right, each marker on the momentum bar has its corresponding box. (They're not lined up. We tried, and got a lot of overlap.)

We hit a problem with advanced granger being shown in the spawn menu but also being locked; so now dead players are told about items being locked or unlocked, and (for aliens) both granger forms are listed.

Other gameplay changesWhen running low on stamina, you will no longer black out after your view has been bobbing significantly and your walk speed has asymptotically approached zero. As in many other games, sprinting will stop automatically when you run out of stamina and it will be regenerated slowly even if you keep the sprint button pressed until the threshold is reached that allows you to start another one. In future, we want to introduce different kinds of coughing to indicate whether Unvguy is sprinting or recovering from exhaustion.

You will also notice subtle changes to damage knockback and credit rewards. We rewrote them in order to improve code maintainability and achieve a more coherent effect – knockback strength is now based on the same mass that is used to calculate weight and crush damage and rewards for killing aliens are calculated with the same formula as those for killing humans: you'll get a base value of 200 plus half the price the opponent paid for equipment/evolution. Finally, evos and credits obey the same ruleset and we can consider them for balance decisions: a class that costs four evos should match armour and weapons for a total of 400 credits etc.

Other thingsWe've fixed reporting of kills by firebomb.

Shadows and lighting have seen some small improvements, mainly regarding culling. This should provide some accuracy and rendering speed improvements.

There should be less of a problem with misrendered weapons when switching between players as a spectator.

There are some fixes for input-related bugs which sneaked in as a result of porting to SDL2.

And, of course, other miscellaneous fixes and adjustments.

(Incidentally, the three longest paragraphs in this article were written by Viech.)

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Elmo
Dretch

Re: Alpha 21 time!

Post by Elmo »

Anomalous wrote:

However, your armour class now has an impact on stamina and everything heavier than the light armour will reduce your ability to sprint or bunny hop for a long time.

I feel like this is the wrong way to go about improving the armour system.
Has it been considered that instead of taking away speed and maneuverability you should add more?
As the aliens increase in strength and speed the humans should as well, not recede.
It might make more sense to then go away from Light armour and Medium armour and instead have Combat Armour, and the stage up would simply be Advanced Combat Armour, and then your classic Battlesuit.
That way you could actually improve upon tremulous' armour system, by giving the human team something that can make them run faster, jump higher and farther.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Elmo wrote:

Has it been considered that instead of taking away speed and maneuverability you should add more?

The fact that heavy armour reduces agility doesn't mean the average has decreased, since stamina was reimplemented. In fact I don't really know whether you can sprint longer or shorter now. (If you clock it tell me the results! :tongue: ) I agree with your general notion of increasing human speed but we need to be careful not to increase it during combat too much so aliens keep the power to close in on their prey. Nonregenerating health and ammo are also causes of said imbalance. Human speed concerns me since we started to give map control greater importance but I did not yet find a satisfying solution to it. If you have ideas that don't interfer with combat let me know!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

downloading right now, haven't played yet. But ...

We hit a problem with advanced granger being shown in the spawn menu but also being locked; so now dead players are told about items being locked or unlocked, and (for aliens) both granger forms are listed.

have you considered to let aliens have the capability to build on walls and ceiling from the start? That would mean. only adv. granger as builder class. Of course he than had to be renaimed to just granger :smile: -- he could also serve as a lowlevel alien long range attack class, to deal with turrets in a very early stage of the game.

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

I think a modest increase in human speed overall would be welcome, and it would be a move to avoid a repeat of what happened in Tremulous, that is, humans crouching in every fight, and since dodge has been taken out I don't think it would throw off balance much.
Leave Light armour and the Battlesuit the way they are, only change the medium armor, or don't change armour at all and just the humans in general.
Or could a different armor be put in, a speed armour, say same protection as light armour at twice the cost or more, a big increase in straight ahead speed but not as much strafing and backpedaling.

I just think that the Human team has always felt a bit sluggish for a fast paced game. But then again, I'd probably be just as happy if you gave them two more jumps before slowing, would be the easiest.

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

its time to, even slowly get away from the old tremulous balance and mechanics to something different( better imho ). Don't you think elmo?

I like the addition of this armour class. we will see how it turns out and what needs to be tweaked.

everything is better than just sticking to the old trem'ish balance and fighting style...just because.
I think even old trem veterans can/should adapt and learn/develop new fighting tactics.

DwarfVader

CK

Post by CK »

Great news, but sadly I'm running into problems on Ubuntu 64bit 13.04 and 13.10. The latest version doesn't work for me :-(Have tried to update three different machines. I have tried both updating and a fresh install, but I always get the same error message:Setting up unvanquished-common (0.21.0-1ubuntu.13.10) .../var/lib/dpkg/info/unvanquished-common.config: 22: /var/lib/dpkg/info/unvanquished-common.config: Bad substitutiondpkg: error processing unvanquished-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of unvanquished: unvanquished depends on unvanquished-common (= 0.21.0-1ubuntu.13.10); however: Package unvanquished-common is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing unvanquished (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredNo apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. Errors were encountered while processing: unvanquished-common unvanquishedE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)I'm open for suggestions on how to fix this,CK

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

DwarfVader wrote:

have you considered to let aliens have the capability to build on walls and ceiling from the start? That would mean. only adv. granger as builder class.

Advanced versions are going to die. That doesn't mean the classes will have the "advanced" features from the start. In the long run we are going for something like an upgrade system, were you can choose between different pathes/abilities.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

CK wrote:

I have tried both updating and a fresh install, but I always get the same error message:

Setting up unvanquished-common (0.21.0-1~ubuntu.13.10)

/var/lib/dpkg/info/unvanquished-common.config: 22: /var/lib/dpkg/info/unvanquished-common.config: Bad substitution
dpkg: error processing unvanquished-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Known problem. Well, it became known to me when I installed 0.21.0 on my laptop, having previously had no problems with that script on my desktop box. Difference is this:

laptop $ ls -l /bin/sh
/bin/sh -> dash
laptop $

desktop $ ls -l /bin/sh
/bin/sh -> bash
desktop $

For now, as root:

Code: Select all

sed -i -e '1 s/sh/bash/' /var/lib/dpkg/info/unvanquished-common.config
dpkg --configure -a

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

That doesn't mean the classes will have the "advanced" features from the start

hmm, it doesn't get to me why the builderclass of such a high agressive lifeform like the aliens witch posses claws and the capability to move fast, jump high and over great distances and a big focus on practicing ambush tactics in combat - should only be able to wallclimb by "buying or earning a achievement" in mid or late game.

If it frightens you to break the balance let the humans have something more or new of something to restore it ( default value adjustments: prices, damage, protection etc ).
you started the balance reworking by adding the medium armor, the firebomb and the adv. dretch etc. :-) don't get me wrong, that is a good thing - just keep going viech!

And as allways, try to archieve the maximum result with the minimun of commitment. why change the adv. granger class? just make it default :P

DwarfVader