The gist of this thread is, as summarized in the topic title, a place to post unfinished ideas, and to expand upon them. Without any guarantees, developers can look over the ideas posted here and, if they're easy enough to implement, they can be placed in an experimental branch of the game. Currently, we already have a 'weaponfun' branch started up by _ds_, who goes by Anomalous on the forums. We already have several things coded based off discussions on the development channel on IRC:
- The lucifer cannon's primary shot decays over time, losing damage as it travels. The idea behind this is to prevent people from spamming shots down long corridors or across large outside areas, like the ice field on Karith.
- The lucifer cannon's primary shot speed depends on how long it's been charged, with the less powerful shots traveling closer to the secondary shot's speed.
- The flamethrower's damage decreases over the distance that the flame puffs travel.
- As pulse rifle shots travel, they slowly lose damage. Thus, over a long distance, it might be more practical to snipe alien buildings with a lasgun.
- Soon, we'll have the ability to throw grenades, utilizing a charge bar. Throwing a grenade will take stamina. The grenade can thus be thrown at walls to bounce off and hit things around corners, or onto ledges.
While we don't know how balanced these ideas are, the point is to get them running on a server so that we can test them. More significant gameplay changes can happen this way, as hopefully these ideas will spark further balance discussion than merely changing values for things that already exist.
Feel free to post whatever you have in mind, but remember that the ideas that will be picked are likely those that won't require any strenuous coding or new models. For the more elaborate ideas that require those, make a thread for them in this subforum.