Tournament discussion thread

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Tournament discussion thread

Post by kharnov »

As you may be aware, we will be holding an Unvanquished summer tournament from mid-July to late August. It will be similar in structure to the GPP Summer Olympics organized by me and `Ishq back in 2011. All players are welcome to participate, from both the Tremulous and Unvanquished communities. Make sure to tell your friends about it!

Registration will begin on July 1st and will last for about a week. There will be one empty week you can use for training, and we'll officially begin around July 15th. We already have several groups confirmed, including GT, Pk, and ddos. However, you don't need to be in a clan to participate. You can choose to group up with other unaffiliated players.

Please feel free to ask any questions you'd like in this thread.

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Tournament discussion thread

Post by KenuR »

1 v 5 me IRL bro

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

If anyone wants a top feeder, count me in. (However I do have a tendency to rape people in-game if the enemy isn't bsuit flamer/mdriver hall camping).

http://aussieassault.net/statistics/player/2070

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Meisseli

Post by Meisseli »

Hello,

00:17 < Meisseli> someone's claiming we are playing in some kind of a
tournament
00:17 < Meisseli> does anyone really know anything about that
00:22 < Entroacceptor> oh, a tournament? Great
00:22 < Entroacceptor> I think two years ago we didn't say "no" to
something...
00:23 < Cadynum> koolt. are we winning?
00:24 < Entroacceptor> you bet
00:24 < Cadynum> yeah, of course we are :)
01:33 < Meisseli> we're winning of course
01:34 < Meisseli> it's nice to hear from other persons that aren't in
our clan we're playing in one though
01:34 < Meisseli> apparently they have decided so themselves?
02:13 < Entroacceptor> btw., which tournament would that be
02:32 < Meisseli> i don't know
03:01 < Entroacceptor> mhj
03:42 < Saliva> i was surprised as well that ddos is apparently
participating
03:42 < Saliva> nice indeed that they can just decide that
03:43 < Saliva> i think it's some sort of unvanquished summer tournament

Is there a misunderstanding somewhere or what is going on? Do we have any say in this or has everything been conveniently decided by someone already?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I spoke with Cadynum. I thought he said yes. If you've changed your minds, that's fine too. Nothing has been decided yet.

arf
Dretch

Post by arf »

This is quite awesome. I'll try to dig up a few clanless newbs from times of olde.
Of course we wont stand a chance, but it can't hurt to add some more meat to the grinder.

Meisseli

Post by Meisseli »

kharnov wrote:

I spoke with Cadynum. I thought he said yes. If you've changed your minds, that's fine too. Nothing has been decided yet.

Maybe there has been a misunderstanding somewhere. I was very confused when I heard about it from other players in-game though and it seems I'm not the only one. Anyway Entro is probably right in that we will of course not say no, though I don't really know if we can muster up a team or not.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yes, there must have been a misunderstanding. Sorry for any confusion caused by this, as I had originally thought that Cadynum agreed to have ddos in the tournament. In any case, I'm glad to have you still up for this, and we'll see where we're all at in a month.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

What will be the format? How many players will be facing each other? Have you decided on maps or is that still in development? I think that this is a great idea, but the description leaves a lot to be desired.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I suppose not everyone recalls the GPP Olympics from 2011, but I'll summarize them here. Each clan faces each other once, and after that bracket is complete, the top four clans go into the semi-finals. These clans each face each other, and the two top-scoring groups have a final match against each other. Ultimately, the clan with the highest score wins the tournament.

Each match is four rounds. You play on two maps. Once as humans, once as aliens. If you win the round, you get three points. If both teams tie, they get one point each. If you lose, you get nothing. The most you can get from one match is 12 points, assuming you win every round.

Maps will be decided. They will be chosen from medium-sized maps from both Tremulous and Unvanquished. ATCS was not allowed in the GPP tournament, as all of us are profoundly sick of it. We may allow for it this time for nostalgia purposes, or we may substitute it with Plat23. Something like Karith is a good example of a tournament-suitable map.

Teams can be made up of clans or unaffiliated players. Both 4v4 and 5v5 are permitted. You can have one substitute on your team, assuming that both teams approve of this. If the other team does not show up, you win all four rounds by default. A match can be rescheduled if both teams approve of the changed date. However, this match must take place before the next week's matches.

The grand prize will be decided soon as well, but I'm thinking we'll design a custom 2D trophy based on the winning team's specifications so that they can commemorate the occasion, as well as a front page article by me highlighting the history and obvious superiority of your clan in the most glowing terms possible. Just think about it. If you win, you can make kharnov your bitch for a day.