Map Idea: Aztech

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
banksy
Mantis

Map Idea: Aztech

Post by banksy »

So my current project has become a bit boring so I have decided to start a new one that is a bit more intriguing and original. The map name 'Aztech' is as it suggests. The nap is based around an Aztec pyramid/civilization. The centre of the map holds a large pyramid with a large generation of power in the centre of it and consequently both aliens and humans want the energy source. So the map replicates an ancient city where two alternate forces have collided. From my current design it may be hard to see the waypoints as well as how the gameplay would work out, but I'm going to publish some more images of what it may look like in game as well as some designs. This project will be adopted as my main project so the other one may either be scrapped or left to a later date. Please feel free to leave feedback on the design at the moment as it will really help.
P.s. each spawn is on opposite sides at the end.

Thanks

EDIT: new design

Ishq
Project Head

Re: Map Idea: Aztech

Post by Ishq »

The design itself seems interesting, though it would be difficult to discuss balance with that. If you are interested in balance testing, I would suggest quickly blocking out your map in Radiant then getting on IRC and asking for people to help you test.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Yeah I'm going to play with slopes as well as having a cave down at the alien side. But from your experience who benefits on a slope?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

They are tough to balance. Humans will generally have the advantage because if they get a slope ( like a pyramid ), they'd have high ground, high range, and high visibility. If aliens get the pyramid, they will get sniped from further.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Just so you are aware the pyramid is off limits. Both teams will be able yo enter inside of the pyramid but you cant scale the outside. Like I said its hard to see what it will be like from this initial design. I'm considering having the alien spawn area in a cave giving them the advantage to use the ceiling and have the human teams spawn outside but possibly on a slight incline to replicate a similar advantage. I will develop some concept art to give you a general idea

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Well, there are maps that have done similar things to what you are proposing: checkout Ancient Remains and Temple.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Well yes of course. But this will also in corporate a lot of alien technology where the alien team has landed and what not haha. By my initial design its hard to tell what it will look like hence why some more concept art will be made

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I don't like the idea of one entrance for the main base. For example, due to bbox sizes humans are really powerful in large groups, but aliens simply become meat shields even if they attack in groups.
Once the humans rush in, let's say the main base is one level, they chuck in a couple of nades and spam pulse around with md campers. Easy defeat.
For human base rushes, it'd be easy to chase down marauders and it would be hard to snipe with dragoons.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Ok I will add a couple more way points streaming from the spawns.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Any suggestions as to how I should incooperate these new waypoints? Because i dont want the enemy team to flank too easily