Flame Thrower (1)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Gex
Dretch

Flame Thrower (1)

Post by Gex »

Hey guys, here is an update for the Flamer weapon. I've started working on the fuel tank, wanted to get some critiques on it. Also, did we ever figure out what the triggering mechanism would be to arm and toss it as a grenade?

The attachment flamer_model_wip3_tank.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
flamer_model_wip3_tank.jpg
Gex
Dretch

Re: In-Progess Flamer

Post by Gex »

I think I might have goofed the thread title, could a mod fix that please? Thank you.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Flamer

Post by Viech »

Done.

Tank looks good! The upper end could be threaded for reloading and the side button could be used for the grenade function (you would need to push it in deeply).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Here is another update for you guys, started working on the front section of the weapon, getting the plated look down. Also, as a side note, if I continue to section off the weapon like this with plated areas, the vents on the top seem to look not quite right, or out of place. I may end up revamping those.

Let me know what you think.

The attachment flamer_model_wip4.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
flamer_model_wip4.jpg
Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Here is another update, started working on the fuel tank catch area made a few other tweaks.

The attachment flamer_model_wip5.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
flamer_model_wip5.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Maybe move the attachment of the handle to the right side, so the handle is on top of the gun. The handle could also be a tad bigger. Coolers and tank look very unique and good, the catch area could be shaped a bit more so that it embraces the tank. The side of the barrel needs some more detail, too.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Hey guys, sorry for the long-time-no-post, been a little busy lately. Here is a little update on the Flamer weapon. I've added some more side detail on the barrel, started working on the top handle, and made a tank catch that can rotate out for reloading. I also wanted to ask, are these weapons specifically branded? Is there a particular company producing the weapons that should be branded on the weapon somewhere, or production markings? I know texturing is down the road a bit and this would be handled then, but I was curious.

Attachments
flamer_model_wip6.jpg
flamer_model_wip6.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey Gex, for a possible branding talk to kharnov, he's responsible for story material.

Handle is simple and good, you might want to make the attachment point area more bulky and change the angle a bit so the handle goes further to the front (roughly above the center of mass).

A catch for the tank is a good idea. The area that touches the tank looks good, the hinge doesn't really give the impression that it would lock the tank in place though. Maybe it would look nice to have a simliar type of catch/cage piece on the other end (and only at the upper end of the tank so you can still rotate it in nicely).

I'm not too fond of the ornaments on both the tank catch and barrel area, they don't really fit a purpose. For the barrel you could try to make actual cooling vents out of them (I liked their eye catching appearance in your concept). For the tank area I'm not sure how it would be possible to add detail that doesn't look like it's purely for aesthetic reasons, but I guess something more simple than the circles could work.

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Here's a little update. I moved the handle forward a bit, removed and changed some side details and tweaked the tank cradle a bit.

Attachments
flamer_model_wip7.jpg
flamer_model_wip7.jpg (199.23 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sweet, this is going in a very nice direction and I don't have anything to add at the moment. Can't wait to see more detail on the rear!